Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I had a great time in Milwaukee several weeks ago.  I was the guest artist with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra.  Marvin Hamlisch was the conductor and the program was of a patriotic nature filled with real original Americana.  There was a barber shop quartet, a blue grass band and a really great chorus.  The show was fun to do and very well received. 

I always have a good time when I get to where I'm going, however, traveling has become a real pain.  Not only are the airlines in general not user friendly, but, now with all the extra charges for checked bags, leg room, meals, pillows and more restrictions for claiming FF miles and oh yes let's' not forget the cost I plan to drive a lot more.  Besides I hate being away from my girls. 

Three weeks or so ago I donated my services to help a new friend launch of a wonderful program/product called "Life Givers."  Keep an eye out for this project it is one of a kind and really does promote life in abundance.

The week of fourth of July we, my family and I, embarked on a working vacation.  With the economy being the way it has for some time most of our vacations over the past few years have been taken in this manner.  It really works out pretty well for us.  The travel expenses are for business and thus get written off and the destinations are based on those willing to pay for my services.  Let's face it when you love what you do it almost doesn't seem like work anyway.

We drove to WV to visit my mom and dad for a few days in Huntington.  We got some time at the YMCA pool and had a lovely visit with some great friends that we don't get to see very often.  I also got to re-establish a friendship with a girl from my Jr. high school days Ms. Penny Watkins.  Penny is now living back in Huntington with her husband and children working as the director of the Marshall Artist Series.

The next leg we travelled into OH so I could sing a patriotic concert with a wonderful small orchestra, "The Ohio Valley Symphony."  The weather was cooperative for the out door event, but, very hot!  90 degrees right up to show time.  The orchestra played very well and I had fun singing along side the mighty Ohio river.  There was a fireworks display and a carnival and a great time was had by all.  I look forward to my next trip to Point Pleasant.
 
We then continued our journey up into MI to visit Christy's father and step mother.  Christy and I enjoyed the ride through OH and MI.  It gave us some time to talk and try to figure out what God has in mind for us.  Not that we will ever really know as He likes to keep us seeking, however, it makes us think we are, in some way, in control of somethings.  Our time in MI was filled with trips to the pool and the U Club and movies not to mention great fellowship with loving parents!

I love family vacations.  The one thing I find necessary after a great family vacation is a week or so to recuperate!

God Bless You All!

Mark