Friday, July 30, 2010

Teaching/Speaking is really fun!

I had a great time on Wednesday.  I was asked to present a Master Class at a Christian Theatre Camp for ages 12-18.  Now I have done master classes before, however, most of the time I am speaking to college age students.  At first I thought it was going to be difficult.  Not because of the material, but, because of the age.  How was I going to make sure I was not speaking over the heads of the middle school age.  I loved it!

One of the questions I always get asked in the master classes for older students is how do you keep your performance fresh night after night.  Well the answer is always the same.  I focus on telling the story to the one or two twelve year olds in the audience.  If I can make them understand everyone else in the audience will understand.  That was the trick of the session.  I was actually speaking to the twelve year olds in the class.  So, I felt right at home and the campers were very interested in what I had to share with them.  It didn't hurt that I had a couple of great accompanists and all involved were into the subject matter.

Maybe I do some more of this sharing thing!

God bless!

Mark