Friday, August 6, 2010

Often we don't realize....

Often we don't realize the impact we make on the lives of those around us.  I went to a funeral of a friend yesterday.  My wife Christy and I actually offered to sing at the service to express our gratitude for a nine year friendship with Mr. Dick Scott.  Dick was one of those, "glass half full," kinda guys.  I never heard him say a cross word.  As I listened to the myriad of comments about Dick it was evident that his focus was not on himself but on those around him.  Judging by the attendance, Dick's dedication to family, friends and community was exemplary.  He will be missed.

In past blogs I'm sure I've mentioned this, but, the greatest commandment is to, "Love the lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind," and the next is to "love your neighbor as yourself."(Matthew 22:37-39)  In this world of entitlement and self expression, I believe we could all take a page from the book of the life of Dick Scott.  Focus your time and energy on others, your friends, family and your community.  Make those relationships strong and meaningful.  It's by making others happy that you will find happiness!

Have a great day!

Mark